Trumpet Artistry Clyde E. Hunt Sr
BS Mus. Ed., MFA, trumpet performance and composition.
Trumpeter, teacher, clinician, composer, arranger, and author.
Musical Tributes - Reviews
"He is, by the way, one of the finest all-around trumpet players I've heard in my lifetime. No, this isn't an ad for Hunt's materials, though it may sound like it. I don't even know him; not even sure which university he's with. It's just that I am enormously impressed by someone with the range of MF, the technique of Mendez, and the tone of a symphonic player. Some may think I'm overdoing it, but this guy is something."
"Since each etude would significantly test the range and endurance of today's most skilled trumpeters, they are approachable only by students who are religiously committed to developing a phenomenal range...while the difficulty of these (ELEVEN) Etudes may well preclude the possibility of any human being rendering a near-perfect performance, Hunt's endeavor, while not always perfect, is nonetheless astounding...." - J. M., Journal of the International Trumpet Guild"I just finished listening to the TOP TONES FOR THE TRUMPETER - BRAVO! I'm going to tell the whole city of Boston!.."Brilliant......Sensational...he plays the most difficult passage with apparent ease"."While his technical skills, including a solid tone in all registers, clean articulation, constantly good intonation, marvelous flexibility, virtuosic fluency, and tastefully employed vibrato, are well up to the technical demands of these etudes, what makes these performances very special is the musical maturity of these interpretations.....so musically stimulating that this reviewer is motivated to once again practice these etudes....inspiring, to say the least"......Jerry Makeever, Journal of Intl trumpet Guild.
Trumpet player, composer, arranger, author, and teacher, Clyde E. Hunt joined the musicians union at age eleven, enabling him to become the youngest member of the Alliance City Band, Alliance, Ohio. On Flag Day, 1950, Hunt and another of William Best's prized cornet students, Eldon Kropf, performed H.L. Clarke's, "The Friendly Rivals", a cornet duet accompanied by the Alliance City Band. (See photos below).Hunt was a member and student conductor of: The Alliance High School Band, under the late Mr. Eric Duro, The Alliance High School Orchestra, under the late Mr. Vance O'donnell, and the high school dance band, "Swing Wings", under Mr. Frank Daly. (We hadn't yet heard of "Stage Band", or "Jazz Ensemble"). He was also a member of the All Ohio Boys Band (Ohio State Fair) in 1954 and 1955.While a freshman at Kent State University, the 18-year-old won the (extra - 4th) trumpet seat in the Akron Symphony Orchestra, Akron, Ohio. He then won the second trumpet position under Louis Lane c. 1961, and was a member of the Akron Symphony Brass Quintet, the Akron Civic Orchestra, and the Akron Goodyear Theater - positions he held until 1967, when he moved to the Washington D.C. area.In 1977 - Hunt began an almost weekly, Trumpet-in-Residency, at the Church of the Ascension and Saint Agnes Episcopal Church at 12th and Massachussetts Ave. NW, in Washington, D.C. Under Father Frederic Mizell's Rectorship, an annual Bach Festival was begun, a professional choir maintained, and an orchestra was employed for the High, Holy Days. Many of these live performances were recorded and may be heard at Saint Agnes classical Archives from this website.Hunt joined the soon-to-become highly acclaimed, Brooks Tegler's HOT JAZZ swing band in 1983, contributing many original compositions and transcriptions to the band repertoire, as well as his lead trumpet and jazz soloist abilities. The band has since appeared at the following festivals:
Jazz Festival Reviews
"Among the more prominent and impressive soloists are trumpet player Clyde Hunt,...""Hunt was the outstanding soloist of the day....he had the audience applauding a long time".
Hunt was also a member of the STEVE JORDAN TRIO. The trio, consisting of the late "legendary" acoustic rhythm guitarist, Steve Jordan; vibraphonist, John Cocuzzi; and trumpeter Clyde Hunt, produced three CD recordings and a video with this unique instrumentation.
Sacramento * Central Illinois * Denver * Madison * Illiana Jazz * Pike's Peak Jazz Society * Charleston, WV Jazz society * Manassas Jazz Festival * Potomac River Jazz Club * Pennsylvania Friends of Jazz * New Jersey Jazz Club * Swinging Hannover * Paderborn * Dusseldorf * Breda * S'Hertogenbosch * Apeldorn * Ghent/ Brugge, and more.
St. Peter Chanel High School, Bedford, Ohio - Music/Band Director from 1962 - 1967. Montgomery County Public Schools, Rockville, Md - Band/Orchestra, Music Theory and Composition, Instrumental Music - 1967 - 1997.
Robert E. Peary High School, Fox Chapel Magnet School, Cedar Grove Elem., Clarksburg Elem., Rocking Horse Road Elem., Harmony Hills Elem., Highland Elem., Highland View Elem. (and more) 1967 - 1997.
1. SAIL THE SEVEN C'S - An Easier Way To Play the Trumpet (book and cd)
How it all began
Music Linkclick to play: T'was A Very Happy Day - mp3
Hunt is the featured performer, or sideman, on more than 30 LP's, cd's, and videos. He is the author of several trumpet method books and cd's. His book and cd, SAIL THE SEVEN C'S, has been highly acclaimed in the "trumpet world".
2. Grifton School Audio Teacher - for Beginning Trumpeters (book and cd)
3. Call and Response Jazz for Beginner Trumpeters (flute,clarinet,tenor sax,and trombone)
4. Twelve Virtuoso Etudes for Trumpet (book and cd)
5. Clarinblasen - Twenty Five Etudes for Natural Trumpet (book and cd)
6. Hunt Plays/Teaches Arban: - two CD set
7. Hunt Plays N. Bousquet: 36 Celebrated Studies for Cornet - two cd set
8. Hunt Plays Vassily Brandt: 34 Studies
9. Hunt Plays Charlier: 36 Etudes Transcendantes - two cd set
10. Hunt Plays H.L.Clarke: Characteristic Studies
11. Hunt Plays H.L.Clarke: Technical Studies
12. Hunt Plays Concone: 32 Lyrical Studies
13. Hunt Plays Sigmund Hering: 30 Studies
14. Hunt Plays S.Hering: 32 Etudes
15. Hunt Plays S. Hering: 40 Etudes
16. Hunt Plays R. Sabarich: Dix Etudes
17. Hunt Plays Max Schlossberg: Daily Drills and Technical Studies.
18. Hunt Plays Walter M. Smith: Top Tones for the Trumpeter
19. Hunt Plays the Haydn and Hummel Trumpet Concerti
20. Hunt Plays the Electronic Music of John Steven Tittle
21. Praise Him With The Sound of the Trumpet Vol. I, (book and cd) with Walter Edmonds, Organist
22. Praise Him With The Sound of the Trumpet Vol. II, (book and cd) with James Edwards, Organist. We are currently in the process of placing many "live" recorded classical performances (Mp3's) at the website. You can find these from the Main Menu.
23. ASHPET, An American Cinderalla - Brooks Tegler's Hot Jazz
24. STEVE JORDAN TRIO at Reston,Va.
25. "And Not Only That" - Brooks Tegler's HOT JAZZ
We are currently in the process of placing many "live" recorded HOT JAZZ performances (Mp3's) at the website. You can find these from the Main Menu.
26. "Best of Breda, Netherlands" - Jazz Festival 1986 - Brooks Tegler & HOT JAZZ
27. "Chompin At The Bit" - Swing's The Thing
28. "Cookin'" - Brooks Tegler's HOT JAZZ
29. "Doc Dikeman Bigband" - Bigband Forever
30. "Fanfare For A King" - Brooks Tegler's HOT JAZZ
31. "Introspection - The Trumpet Ballad" - Brooks Tegler's HOT JAZZ
32. Elden Street Romp - Live At The Ice House Cafe - Brooks Tegler's HOT JAZZ
33. Keep 'Em Flying - Brooks Tegler's HOT JAZZ (Circle Records - George Buck Records)
34. Swing Street - Bob Thulman
35. Fool's Paradise - John Cocuzzi & Swing Professors
36. HOT JAZZ Plays JOHN KIRBY and ARTIE SHAW
37. Intimate Steve Jordan, The - Steve Jordan
38. Soft Swingin Jazz - Steve Jordan Trio
39. The Steve Jordan Trio - Steve Jordan Trio
40. Big Joe Maher and the Dynaflows - I'm Still Swingin'
41. Live At Colonial Beach - Billy Hancock and Clyde Hunt's No Neck Jazz Band
42. Brooks Tegler Bigband - (2007 release)
43. Out of the Darkness - Billy Hancock (2008 release)
SAIL THE SEVEN C'S
An Easier Way To Play The Trumpet
Developing The Pedal and Altissimo Registers
I am accepting a limited number of private students at my studio in Colonial Beach, Virginia.. Please call at 804-224-7523 to arrange for trumpet instruction.
Band Directors - call to arrange for a masterclass/clinic for your Trumpet Section. Visiting the Washington D.C., Baltimore, or Richmond/Fredericksburg area? Please call, either just to say hello or to arrange for trumpet instruction during your visit.
Music Theory * Composition * Orchestration * Arranging for the Concert Band * Arranging for the Jazz Ensemble * Jazz Improvisation
B-FLAT MUSIC PRODUCTION
717 Bancroft Avenue, Colonial Beach, VA. 22443
COLONIAL BEACH, VIRGINIA.
Visit our beautiful, historic, quaint, little resort town on the Potomac River: birthplace of Presidents George Washington, James Monroe, and General Robert E. Lee. Birthplace of the late Miss Sarah Vaughn. Summer home of Alexander Graham Bell.
Conveniently located adjacent to Washington DC and Richmond, VA.